Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (WELS) Scheme Strategic Plan 2012 to 2015
WELS is a successful scheme and the objective of the strategic plan for the next few years is to improve cost recovery and focus on the issues identified in the independent review.
The strategic plan proposes that WELS operates under the program logic set out below.
Purpose: Improved urban water efficiency
Objectives of the WELS Act (2005):
- to conserve water supplies by reducing water consumption
- to provide information for purchasers of water-use and water-saving products
- to promote the adoption of efficient and effective water-use and water-saving technologies.
To achieve these objectives, the following strategies have been adopted:
- Continue the cooperative partnership between federal, state and territory governments
- Work cooperatively with industry
- Manage the scheme efficiently and effectively
- Strengthen compliance and enforcement
- Improve cost recovery
- Consider further development of the scheme