User tools

Water rating

Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (WELS) scheme

A joint government and industry program

Menu

Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (WELS) scheme

The consultation paper outlines proposed changes to the WELS scheme and seeks stakeholder feedback on options to deliver those new arrangements. Matters addressed include: changes to the funding arrangements; proposed changes to registration rules and processes; proposed changes to compliance and enforcement activities and other proposed changes and further scheme development.

About the document

At its 30 November 2011 meeting, the Standing Council on Environment and Water agreed the joint response of the Australian Government, States and Territories to the 2010 independent review of the Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (WELS) scheme. The response is available at Independent review of the Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards scheme.

Standing Council also agreed to implement, from 1 July 2012, the 2012-15 WELS strategic plan, including a registration fee structure that should recover 80 per cent of the scheme's operating costs, with governments contributing the remaining 20 per cent.

Implementation of the joint governments' response to the 2010 independent review of the WELS scheme, the 2012-15 WELS strategic plan and the fee structure requires a number of changes to the operation of the WELS scheme and supporting legislation.

The Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities (the Department) is releasing this consultation paper to canvass views on the proposed changes to the WELS scheme.

The consultation paper outlines the proposed changes to the WELS scheme and seeks stakeholder feedback on options to deliver these new arrangements. Matters addressed include:

  • changes to the scheme's funding arrangements;
  • proposed changes to registration fees, rules and processes;
  • proposed changes to compliance and enforcement activities; and
  • other proposed changes and further scheme development.

Written submissions were invited by 12 March 2012. A series of stakeholder meetings were also held to provide the opportunity to discuss the proposed changes outlined in the paper. For more information see stakeholder forums.

Submissions

A list of submissions is available in the National Library of Australia's Australian Government Web Archive